Vrede en Lust is a boutique, family owned and managed winery. We produce nearly 30,000 9L cases of wine annually, from the 700 tons of our own grapes crushed. The grapes are sourced from our 2 vineyards in the Simonsberg-Paarl wine ward, as well as from our Casey’s Ridge vineyard in much cooler Elgin. Etienne Buys manages the farming and viticultural aspects whilst Susan Erasmus and Ansonè Stoffberg manage the wine making operations. The award winning Vrede en Lust wine range is made up of 4 distinct selections: Tier 1 which comprises Jess, Sarah and Red Lady; Tier 2 which includes our Caseys Ridge Elgin Sauvignon Blanc, White Mishief, Mocholate Malbec, Syrah, Marguerite Chardonnay and our Viogniers; Tier 3, our top wines the Boet Erasmus and the Barrique; the Artisan range which is made exclusively for our Wine Club members in limited quantities and this range changes annually.
Tier 1 – Our Premium Wines
The Vrede en Lust Premium wine rang is our entry level range, handmake for everyday enjoyment! We are not a large producer, so these wines are made is relatively small quantities – all of them less than 6,000 cases per year. These are wines that are ready to enjoy early on and will over-deliver in quality at their great value price points.
- The Vrede en Lust Sarah Unwooded Chardonnay (Simonsberg-Paarl): Intricate nose of white pears and tropical fruits. The fruit driven aromas follow through on the palate with a crisp citrus acidity and a smooth finish.
- The Vrede en Lust Jess Dry Rosè (Simonsberg-Paarl). Explosion of ripe red cherries, watermelon and strawberry, combined with red summer fruit flavours on the nose followed a smooth, mouth watering finish. 80% Pinotage 20% Shiraz.
- The Vrede en Lust Red Lady Merlot (Simonsberg-Paarl). This Merlot is selected from one of the vineyard blocks planted higher up on Vrede en Lust. The delicacy of the red fruit aroma of Merlot will entice your nose & palate.
Tier 2 – Our Super Premium Wines
Our Super Premium Range represents our top varietal wines along with one white blend. Our goal is to produce wines that are true to their terroir and that represent the Vrede en Lust brand proudly. These wines deliver outstanding value at their price points and have received high accolades and many medals over the years. These wines are produced in limited quantities, that range from about 900 cases for the Marguerite to more than 3,000 cases for the Casey’s Ridge Sauvignon Blanc.
- The Vrede en Lust Casey’s Ridge Sauvignon Blanc (Elgin): Our Sauvignon Blanc shows typical cool climate aromas with flinty notes, lime, granadilla and gooseberry. The wine is perfectly balanced with fresh acidity, great mouth-feel, rich minerality and a crisp, yet smooth finish.
- The Vrede en Lust White Mischief (Elgin): Unique blend of 5 white grapes! Citrus, floral and tropical notes on the nose are followed with hints of white pear and fruit salad on the palate. Soft, beautifully balanced mouth-feel.
- The Vrede en Lust Mocholate Malbec (Simonsberg-Paarl): Coffee and mocha with cherries, abundant red berries, mulberry, blackberry and an explosion of fruit on the palate make up this fun filled wine. Silky smooth.
- The Vrede en Lust Syrah (Simonsberg-Paarl): A Rhone style Shiraz showing violets, plums and sweet spice. The smooth tannins on the palate confirm the promise of this elegant wine. Velvet textured layers showcases this wine through to a juicy mouth feel.
- The Vrede en Lust Marguerite Chardonnay (Simonsberg-Paarl): Barrel Fermented. The wine shows citrus, toasted nuts and butterscotch aromas followed by a creamy, well balanced palate with tones of almonds and pear.
- The Vrede en Lust Caseys Ridge Viognier (Elgin): Typical Viognier character, but with a cinnamon spice twist. Hints of jasmine flowers, aniseed and peaches on the nose. Medium bodied with subtle oak impact.
Tier 3 – our Flagship wines
These are our flagship wines and are carefully selected by Susan and Ansone every vintage. The best fruit is earmarked for these wines post harvest. The barrels eventually selected, represent the vintage’s best barrels of each cultivar. They are wine that are ready to enjoy at release, but will reward careful cellaring for a number of years. We are very proud to present:
- The Vrede en Lust Boet Erasmus (Simonsberg-Paarl): Bordeaux style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec. Dominant dark berry aromas, followed by pencil shavings and cedar on the nose. Layers of flavours with clean lines. A wonderful balance between the elegance of the wine, oak and the purity of the fruit.
- The Vrede en Lust Barrique (Elgin): Barrel fermented Semillon / Sauvignon Blanc blend. Shows the beautiful aromas of Semillon – bell peppers, quince and integrated oak aromas. The cool climate Sauvignon Blanc adds the typical aromas of passion fruit, gooseberries, lime and minerality.
The Artisan Range
The Vrede en Lust Artisan Range is handmade, in very small quantities exclusively for our WineClub members. With the Artisan Range the winemakers are free to experiment and try new things. What we learn in some of these wines result in a new label. Eg. the CCV 2010 turned out so good, we ended up with the White Mischief 2011 joining our Super Premium range. The labels are reproduced from Susan’s own handwritten versions of the labels.
- The Artisan Range Syrah (Elgin): Lighter and more elegant in style, it is layered with red fruit aromas and spicy notes of black pepper.
- The Artisan Range Kogelberg Chenin Blanc (Elgin): A full-bodied wine with the typical fruit character of Chenin – orange peel and citrus. The palate is rich with hints of honey and ripe fruit.
- The Artisan Range Babylonsig Pinotage: A deep purple coloured wine, with typical Pinotage fruit aromas of blueberry on the nose and hints of cedar oak.