Vinified by the Sun | Sustainable Solar Energy
We introduced the new ‘Vinified by the Sun’ logo in 2016, celebrating our commitment to clean, renewable energy and environmental sustainability. Said logo will feature on all new Vrede en Lust wine labels, referencing the farm’s 220KVA solar power generating system.
- The impressive installation of solar panels occupies an expansive stretch in the vineyards
- It allows the farm to operate completely independently from the national grid during sunlight hours, supplying sufficient electricity for the running of the cellar, restaurant, offices, wine tasting and the entire hospitality division, even during high season
- Built in 2013, the solar installation is one of the biggest of its kind in the South African wine industry.
- In its first year of operation, it allowed Vrede en Lust Estate to save 297.92 TCO2 – thereby contributing towards cutting our carbon footprint by nearly half
The farm’s commitment to environmental sustainability spans much further, and encompasses various aspects of farming and production practices, like:
- recycling of all waste;
- reducing the use of chemicals and the environmentally safe treatment of effluent water;
- reducing water wastage; and
- applying gravity irrigation in all vineyards.
As an industry leader in renewable energy, Vrede en Lust Estate is continuously looking for new ways to lessen its impact on the environment and to utilise scarce natural resources sustainably. This is especially relevant at a time when persistent extreme dry and hot conditions across the winelands, coupled with economic pressure, are forcing farmers to find innovative solutions to overcome grave challenges to their livelihood.