Vrede en Lust Estate | Our Wines
Vrede en Lust is a family owned and managed winery. Widely acknowledged as one of the top South African wine estates, we produce nearly 30,000 9L cases of wine annually, from the 700 tons of our own grapes crushed. The grapes are sourced from our 2 vineyards in the Simonsberg-Paarl wine ward, as well as from our Casey’s Ridge vineyard in much cooler Elgin. Etienne Buys manages the farming and viticultural aspects whilst Susan Erasmus manages the winemaking operations.
Vrede en Lust has three distinct ranges to choose from – the premium Vrede en Lust range, the Flagship range with their striking black labels and the Artisan range.
Vrede en Lust Wines | Premium Range
- The Vrede en Lust Jess Dry Rosé 2016 (Simonsberg-Paarl). Explosion of ripe red cherries, watermelon and strawberry, combined with red summer fruit flavours on the nose followed a smooth, mouth watering finish. 71% Pinotage, 26% Shiraz and 3% Grenache.
- The Vrede en Lust Casey’s Ridge Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (Elgin): Our Sauvignon Blanc shows typical cool climate aromas with flinty notes, lime, granadilla and gooseberry. The wine is perfectly balanced with fresh acidity, great mouth-feel, rich minerality and a crisp, yet smooth finish.
- The Vrede en Lust White Mischief 2015 (Elgin): Unique blend of 5 white grapes! Citrus, floral and tropical notes on the nose are followed with hints of white pear and fruit salad on the palate. Soft, beautifully balanced mouth-feel.
- The Vrede en Lust Marguerite Chardonnay 2014 (Simonsberg-Paarl): Barrel Fermented. The wine shows citrus, toasted nuts and butterscotch aromas followed by a creamy, well balanced palate with tones of almonds and pear.
- The Vrede en Lust Viognier 2015 (Elgin & Simonsberg-Paarl): Typical notes of dried apricots and peaches with hints of orange blossom. Delicate notes of spice on the nose – with creaminess added to the wine by judicious use of oak.
- The Vrede en Lust Early Mist Riesling 2015: A highly terroir expressive cultivar, this is produced in a typical German Kabinett style – with a semi-sweet residual sugar. The Riesling is an elegantly styled and fragrant wine with notes of honey and minerals followed by long citrus flavours.
- The Vrede en Lust The Red Lady 2015 Merlot (Simonsberg-Paarl). This Merlot is selected from one of the vineyard blocks planted higher up on Vrede en Lust. The delicacy of the red fruit aroma of Merlot will entice your nose & palate.
- The Vrede en Lust Mocholate Malbec 2015 (Simonsberg-Paarl). This wine brings a whole new twist to how Malbec has been perceived in the past. The wine is rich, ruby red in colour and fruity – with beautiful aromas of mocha and chocolate.
- The Vrede en Lust Côtes de Savoye 2014 (Elgin & Simonsberg-Paarl). This wine is an elegantly styled wine with aromas of violets, concentrated red fruit followed through with a soft, juicy palate and well rounded tannins.
- The Vrede en Lust Lady J Syrah 2012 (Elgin & Simonsberg-Paarl). This wine is made from Shiraz grapes and showcases violets and plums with darker characters like spice and black pepper derived from the Elgin fruit.
Vrede en Lust Wines | Flagship Range
Our Flagship Range represents our top varietal wines along with one white blend. Our goal is to produce wines that are true to their terroir and that represent the Vrede en Lust brand proudly. These wines deliver outstanding value at their price points and have received high accolades and many medals over the years. These wines are only produced in limited quantities.
- The Vrede en Lust Kogelberg Chenin Blanc 2014 (Elgin). A full-bodied wine with the typical fruit character of Chenin – orange peel and citrus. The palate is rich with hints of honey and ripe fruit.
- The Vrede en Lust Barrique 2014 (Elgin). A rich and complex wine with earthy and quince characteristics, elegantly balanced with a lingering minerality. A white bordeaux blend of Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc.
- The Vrede en Lust Pinot Noir 2014 (Elgin). Ruby red colour with hints of cranberry, mulberry and a touch of tomato leaf on the nose – typical of cooler climate wines. Well ripened tannins with a hint of oak and a refined finish.
- The Vrede en Lust Boet Erasmus 2012 (Simonsberg-Paarl). Very primary on the nose – lifted red and black fruit, tobacco and vanilla plus a little earthiness. Full bodied with pure fruit, bright acidity and fine tannins with a long and savoury finish. Poised and understated, this has a good future ahead of it.
Vrede en Lust Wines | Artisan Range
The Vrede en Lust Artisan Range is an exclusive handmade range only made in very small quantities. With the Artisan Range the winemakers are free to experiment and try new things. What we learn in some of these wines result in a new label. Eg. the CCV 2010 turned out so good, we ended up with the White Mischief 2011 joining our Premium range. The labels are reproduced from Susan’s own handwritten versions of the labels.
- The Artisan Semillon 2014 (Elgin). Delicious crisp palate with limey fruit, hints of papaya and a balanced mid-palate. This wine is youthful and showcases the versatility of Semillon and should age well.
- The Artisan Pinot Grigio 2015 (Elgin): A light & crisp white wine showing aromas of apple & pear. The zestiness of this wine will lend to being enjoyed on its own and with a variety of different dishes.
- The Artisan Red Shale Sauv Blanc 2015 (Elgin). A complex Sauvignon Blanc, with a good mineral backbone and vibrant acidity, balanced by well-defined layers of fruit. Think of pear, passion fruit as well as green apple and gooseberry.
- The Artisan Riesling 2015 (Elgin). A fresh and textural wine, this puts a spicy spin on citrus rind and white stone fruit with an overall sensation of density and intensity.
- The Artisan Casey’s Ridge Syrah 2012 (Elgin). Lighter and more elegant in style, this wine is layered with herbs and spice of Shiraz grown in cooler climates.
- The Artisan Shiraz Cab 2012 (Simonsberg-Paarl). The Shiraz shows spice and an upfront fruit character, which is well balanced by the typical Cabernet berry aromas.
- The Artisan Napoleonsberg Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 (Simonsberg-Paarl). The wine showcase complex cedar aromas with ripe blackcurrant flavours and a textured finish.
- The Artisan Cabernet Franc 2013 (Simonsberg-Paarl).